For the cake (everything at room temperature):
- 150 g dark chocolate (I used Tesco 74% Ivory Coast)
- 120 g butter
- 100 g Xylitol (powdered) plus a little bit for decoration
- 4 eggs
- 100 g ground almonds
- 2 tbs. Cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
For the pears:
- 200 g (about 1 ¼ medium pear)peeled and cut into long strips
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- Bring to boil water with cinnamon and star anise. Add the pears and cook on a very low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not overcook the pears. You want them to be in nice whole pieces. Place aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl, over simmering water, melt the chocolate until smooth.Set aside to cool down a bit.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter with xylitol until mixture gets light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating continuously.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until all nicely combined.
- Combine ground almond, cocoa and baking powder together. Add it to the chocolate mixture and fold it in gently.
- Pour the batter into the tin and place the pears in a circle (kind of star shape)and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes (check with the skewer if the cake is ready).
- Cool it down and dust with powdered xylitol.
1 slice (1/12 of the cake)
Source : Adapted from moje wypieki