For the sponge cake I used ground almond and potato starch. I know, potato start is not low carb at all, but it’s necessary to use it in order to make a nice sponge for a torte. There is only 65 g so the whole cake it’s still low carb.
If you are not very experience baker and you don’t feel confident to cut the cake into three thin layers, cut it in half.
IMPORTANT: For the filling I used 500g mascarpone and 400g whipped cream. If you prefer to make this cake less rich, I would recommend using less (reduce maybe by 100g, both cream and mascarpone). If you cut the cake in half (not three layers) definitely reduce the filling.
- 70g ground almonds
- 65 g potato starch
- 150g xylitol (powdered)
- 5 eggs, yolks and eggs separated
Cream filling and frosting:
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 400 g whipping cream
- 5/6 tbsp Xylitol (or to your taste)
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 400 g fresh or frozen strawberries (save two or three for decoration)
- 3 tbsp. Xylitol
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsps. Gelatin dissolved in minimum hot water
- 1 tsp. potato starch dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
- Half cup of mixed water with lemon juice (proportion 50:50). If you like you can add 2 tbsps. of vodka or lemon liqueur (remember liqueur contains sugar).
- Preheat oven to 170 C and line a springform tin with baking paper (only the bottom),
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. Sieve the potato starch and ground almond (for almond I used colander),
- Using electric mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks form. At the end of beating gradually add xylitol. Add the egg yolks one by one, still beating until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Gently fold in the almonds and potato starch.
- Pour thee batter into prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes (check with the skewer if the cake is ready). Set aside to cool down.
- Cut strawberries into pieces, add xylitol and cook for few minutes. Add lemon juice, dissolved potato starch and stir. Remove from the heat and add dissolved gelatine. Set aside to cool down.
- Whip the cream, add xylitol, mascarpone and mix briefly.
Assembly of the cake:
- Cut the cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate, brush generously with lemon ‘syrup’. Spread around 4 tbsp. of cream and then on top of it spread half of strawberry filling.
- Cover with the second layer and repeat. Top with remaining layer and brush it with lemon syrup.
- Frost the cake with remaining cream and decorate.
Carbohydrates and Calories:
|Whole Cake||1 piece (1/12 of the cake)|
|Carbohydrates||181 g||15 g|
Source: Adapted from mojewypieki